In India, the issue of women empowerment has been prevalent for years now. The universe is trying to find tackle the various issues surrounding women empowerment and the issues surrounding women equality with men. Women empowerment usually refers to an environment where women make decisions based on their preferences for the benefit of them and the society. It also refers to improving the economic, social, legal and political strength of women. The ideal scenario would be where women can claim their rights such as:
- Living life freely with dignity and respect.
- To be able to control their life within their home as well as the workplace.
- To be able to make their own decisions in life.
- To have equal rights to be able to participate in religious, social and public activities.
- To have an equal status in society.
- To have equal rights for economic and social justice.
- To be able to determine economic and financial choices.
- To get an equal opportunity for employment and education without any sort of gender bias.
- To be able to work in a comfortable and safe environment.
There are quite a few facets of women empowerment. Some of them are:
- Individual Rights: A woman is an equal being with imaginations, senses and thoughts. She should be given the right to express herself freely and the confidence to articulate. She should also be given the power to be able to negotiate and decide.
- Social Empowerment: Social women empowerment gives more important to the facet of gender equality. Women should be able to enjoy the same rights, opportunities and obligations as men.
- Educational Empowerment: Educational empowerment is nothing but giving women the skills, knowledge and confidence that will help them participate and contribute towards the progress of society.
- Economical Empowerment: Economical Empowerment entails providing women with better quality of life through livelihoods that are managed and owned by women. This also means empowering women to reduce their financial dependence on the male counterparts.
- Legal Empowerment: Legal Empowerment is the provision of a legal structure that supports women empowerment. This also means that the gap between the prescription of the law and the actual act needs to be bridged.
Why Is Woman Empowerment Essential?
Women comprise of about 50% of the worldwide population and with a number that large it is essential for women to be given an equal chance when it comes to employment. A large number of women are either unemployed or underpaid and this creates a problem with the economy worldwide.
Women are just as intelligent as men; they are just not given the exact same exposure as men are. This pulls them down. Even when women are given exposure, circumstances, comments and the way people look upon them pulls them down. This is one of the main reasons why women empowerment is very essential.
Women have a lot of talent and they can perform any task given to them just as well as any man can. It’s all about giving women the opportunity and the right platform to showcase their skills. While women in cities are given all of that, women from smaller towns and villages are still deprived from all of this.
A beautiful quote by Brigham Young — ‘You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.’
This stands true no matter where you’re from. An educated woman encourages her children to educate themselves and become independent.
It helps women to become independent and fend for themselves. Women no longer need to depend on their family members for anything. They are capable enough to earn their own money and lead their own lives.
Some Amazing Woman Empowerment Quotes
- “If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.” —Margaret Thatcher
- “A strong woman understands that the gifts such as logic, decisiveness, and strength are just as feminine as intuition and emotional connection. She values and uses all of her gifts.” —Nancy Rathburn
- “A woman is like a tea bag—you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.” —Eleanor Roosevelt
- “I’m tough, I’m ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.” ?Madonna
- “A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men.” ?Gloria Steinem
- “I raise up my voice—not so I can shout, but so that those without a voice can be heard…we cannot succeed when half of us are held back.” ?Malala Yousafzai
- “Feminism isn’t about making women strong. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.” —G.D. Anderson
- “Women are always saying, ‘We can do anything that men can do.’ But Men should be saying, ‘We can do anything that women can do.'” —Gloria Steinem
- “You don’t have to be pretty. You don’t owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don’t owe it to your mother, you don’t owe it to your children, you don’t owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked ‘female.'” —Erin McKean
- “A woman with a voice is, by definition, a strong woman.” —Melinda Gates